Politics

Dama drags govt into another scam

Bhubaneswar: Already being in the headlines for exposing massive scam in OMFED and sapling plantation, former Minister and veteran BJD leader Damodar Rout has once again dragged his own party-led government into controversy by raising another scam that took place in Co-operative society’s loan.

Rout alleged that scam of around Rs 700 crore had taken place. While 60% loan from the banks was sanctioned for non-agricultural purposes, the rest 40% remained only on pen and paper, he alleged.

The irregularities took place during the tenure of Tusharkanti Panda as the managing director of Cooperative society.

“I had written to the registrar for an investigation, but the ‘Godfather’ persuaded him not to obey the minister’s order,” Rout said.

The senior most politician and Paradip MLA further said that the department had sanctioned Rs 37 crore for computerisation of all the cooperative societies. Computers were purchased and sent to all the societies but around 700 societies lack buildings and electricity connections. Now, what is the condition of these computers? he asked.

On the other hand, Cooperation Minister Surya Narayan Patro rubbished Rout’s allegations. He said loans are being disbursed through joint liability group. So, there is no chance of any irregularity.

“If he provides particular data, I would order an inquiry,” Patro added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top