Shelter home scandal: Cops take Fayaz Rahman on remand again

Dhenkanal: A Special court here allowed the Dhenkanal police to take Fayaz Rahman, who was arrested over his alleged involvement in sexual harassment of girls at a shelter home run by his NGO Good News India, on two more days of remand.

Police cited that that they need more time to question Rahman in connection with the case.

He was earlier taken on a two-day remand which ended today.

The special POCSO court here today admitted the appeal of the police for fresh custody of Rahman and permitted the police to take him on remand for two days.

The cops are likely to interrogate him about the illegal functioning of the shelter home for the last two years and alleged sexual harassment of girls, forceful religious conversion, funding to the shelter homes run by him.

Rahman was arrested on Sunday by Sadar police on charges of sexually harassing minor girls in a shelter home at Beltikiri in the Sadar block near the district headquarters town of Dhenkanal.

Besides Rahman, two other persons – Simanchal Nayak and Udit Kumar Lima, in-charge of the shelter home and assistant director Udit Kumar Lima, were also taken into custody. They were facing similar charges.

Rahman was also accused of forcefully converting the inmates to Christianity. Different videos showing Rahman converting girls to Christianity have gone viral in the social media today.

All the three accused were booked under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and different sections of IPC.

On Saturday, the home was sealed by police in the wake of allegations of sexual abuse by its minor inmates.

The action came after District Child Protection Officer (DCPO) Anuradha Goswami and members of Child Welfare Committee (CWC) and police raided the home, acting on media reports which stated that minor girls were being abused sexually, physically and mentally at the facility.

The girls at the home had alleged that they were harassed sexually, physically and mentally over the past two years.

Meanwhile, Odisha Government clarified that the shelter home had been operating for the last two years without registration under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015. Meanwhile, the residents were shifted to Government-run homes

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top